- Nighthawk Insider
- T-Shirt Fundraiser for the Philippines
- New Board Members for PUSD Foundation
- RB Chorale Scholarship Search
- Volunteers Wanted for The Princess Project
- Viva Merch’s New Printing Equipment Raises the Bar for Shirt Printing in San Diego
- 5 Clever Hiding Spots to Stash Your Valuables
- Special Olympics of Southern California
- Real Estate Matters
- 4S Ranch Chinese New Year
Letter from the Publisher – July/Aug 2010
OK, we admit it; we love the new Del Sur Farmers’ Market & Family Festival. Of course, our infatuation with this new weekly event in our area is easy to understand.
First, there are the “green” reasons:
- It’s locally grown, very fresh produce that doesn’t have to travel far to get to our table (saving fossil fuels).
- A wide selection of natural and organic produce is available.
- Buying directly from farmers helps promote small sustainable farms, which helps conserve soil and clean water.
Then there are the “we just want to have fun” reasons:
- Fresh-cooked, hot-off-the-grill, filled-with-everything burritos.
- Some really unique, worthwhile live music.
- Flavored shaved ice on a warm afternoon.
- Blow-up Jumpies (and it’s not even anyone’s birthday!).
- Even more of those tasty burritos.
But perhaps the biggest reason to enjoy the new farmers’ market every Thursday is the sense of community we experience walking with our family among the vendors – most of them local. Plus, it’s so much fun to see neighbors and to unexpectedly bump into friends. And certainly it is extremely special for us that the event funds local education programs – especially now when financial resources for our schools are so scarce.
Deserved congratulations go to the Del Sur Education Foundation for the vision and hard work necessary to launch this very worthwhile addition to our community. Nice work.
Now, may we have another one of those delicious burritos?
All the best,
Derrick Breaux, PUBLISHER