Olav’s Vanilla Belgian Waffles
Name of Chef: Olav L. Underdal
Family Members: Lisa Underdal (Mom), Olav M. Underdal (Dad)
Community of Residence: 4S Ranch
Hobbies/Interests: Traveling, aviation and skiing
Favorite Local Activity: Snorkeling in La Jolla Cove
About the Recipe: I believe this to be the perfect Sunday morning dish to make for your family because it’s fairly easy to prepare and it’s always a popular palate pleaser.
About the Chef: Olav Underdal is a rising senior at Del Norte High School. He was born in Cophenhagen, Denmark and grew up in Baltimore, MD. Olav started cooking basic dishes at the age of four, mainly being taught by his grandmother. He now enjoys making weekend morning dishes for his family and impressing his friends at potlucks.
[tabs] [tab title=” Ingredients”]
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, divided
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Strawberries and whipped cream to garnish
- Serves 3 – 4
- Begin by beating the egg whites in a small bowl until a stiff peak forms.
- In another bowl, dissolve the yeast in one-fourth of the milk.
- In a large bowl mix the egg yolks, another fourth of the milk, the melted butter and the sugar.
- Stir in the yeast mixture as you add in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Alternate mixing in the rest of the milk and the flour into the main mixture.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Set the covered batter aside to rise for one hour.
- Cook in a waffle iron following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve warm, garnish with strawberries and whipped cream.