Kristi’s Grilled Fish Tacos
- 2-3 fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 large lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Kosher salt/pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced small, seeds removed
- 1/2 small head green or red cabbage (or use the bagged kind)
- 2-3 limes, cut in wedges
- Avocado slices
- Fish taco sauce
- 12 corn tortillas (cocktail size or taco size)
Fish Taco Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- Prepare grill on high heat. Season fish with lemon, crushed garlic, kosher salt and pepper.
- Grill fish on medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes per side, flipping once. It’s best to undercook rather than overcook, as the fish will continue to cook once it’s removed from the grill.
- While fish is being grilled, warm tortillas to desired crispness, prepare cilantro, avocado slices, taco sauce, and all accompaniments. Prepare the fish taco sauce by mixing all taco sauce ingredients together.
- Remove fish from grill and prepare tacos: tortilla, cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes, fish sauce, avocado slices, and garnish with limes on the side.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Makes: 4 servings Total Time: 30 minutes
(10 minute cook, 20 minute prep)
ABOUT THE CHEF
Chef’s Name: Kristi Shanks
Family Members: Husband – Dave Shanks; Daughter – Madison; Dog – Charlie Brown
Community of Residence: Silver Crest since 2005
Hobbies/Interests: Camping, boating, hiking, dog beach, traveling for All-Star Cheer Competitions
Favorite Local Activity: Eating out at any of the local restaurants, especially Karl Strauss and Capri Blu
About the Recipe: I chose this recipe because it’s easy, healthy, and full of freshness. It’s great to cook on those warm days when it’s too hot to cook. I make this for anyone that will eat it. My daughter doesn’t love fish, but even she will eat these tacos!
About the Chef: I am a fitness instructor at LA Fitness in 4S Ranch, teaching spin, and bodyworks four days a week. I am also the cheer director for Del Norte Youth Football and Cheer, and I spend most of my free time working to grow the cheer program within our community. I also have a “real job” with Guild Mortgage Correspondent Lending. When I’m not busy with all those other things, you can usually find me enjoying the patio at Karl Strauss with my husband, or at California All Stars where my daughter cheers; watching her prepare for her upcoming competition season. Nothing makes me happier than watching her in her element!