Mr. Jeff’s Meatballs
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- ¼ pound ground pork or ground sausage
- ¼ pound ground veal
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh grated cheese
(Parmesan, Romano, or Parmigiana-reggiano)
- 4 cloves fresh chopped garlic (more if you really like garlic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients together really well – it’s easier if you use your hands.
- Start the oven at 425 degrees F. I have an olive oil sprayer, so I lightly spray the baking dish before I form the meatballs.
- Make the meatballs approximately 4 ounces each, or bigger if you like. I have done both. Once you have them in your baking dish, cover with tin foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the meatball and your oven heat.
- After that time, take off the tin foil and leave in for 10 minutes more to brown the tops of the meatballs, then remove.
- We make a little spaghetti and sauce to pour all over them. Enjoy!
Makes: Approximately 8 to 9 meatballs
Total Time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Jeff Schmitt
Family Members: Wife – Sherry, Loan Officer; Daughters – Emma (18, graduated Del Norte High School) and Haley (17, senior at Del Norte High School)
Community: 4S Ranch
Interests: Family and friends, golf, photography, classic cars, cooking, barbecuing, traveling, watching sports, and antiques
Favorite Local Activity: I enjoy going out once in a while to a good restaurant like the Barrel Room
About the Recipe: I looked for a meatball recipe online and found three that I liked but didn’t like all the ingredients. So as I usually do, I changed and mixed them up a bit. I very seldom use a recipe exactly how it is written. I wrote down the ingredients I liked, I left out the ones I didn’t, and this is what I came up with.
About the Chef: I was a Real Estate Appraiser for approximately 10 years. I am a handyman in the 4S Ranch area. I love fixing and building things. I make my own meat rub, called Mr. Jeff’s Rustic Rub. I love to cook, barbecue, and change up recipes.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92127magazine.com