Abigail’s Homemade Pollo Bowl
- 1 ½ pounds cooked homemade marinated chicken or 1 cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown rice boiled with 4 cups water
- 1 big avocado, sliced
- 1 big tomato
- ¼ onion
- 2 limes, juiced
- Handful of cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper (optional)
- Frijoles de la Olla: Cook pinto beans in a Crock-Pot on low for eight hours or on high for four hours. Use 4 to 5 cups of water per cup of beans. Add salt when fully cooked.
- Salsa Bandera: Finely chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and pepper and let marinate in lime juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Serve beans like a soup in a bowl and add the cooked chicken and rice. Finally, garnish with the salsa bandera and avocado. Enjoy!
Makes: 4 portions
Total Time: 30 minutes
Name of Chef: Abigail Velazquez
Family Members: Husband – Raul Cortez; Daughter – Vanessa Cortez (8); Son – Alan Cortez (5)
Community: San Moritz at 4S Ranch
Interests: Traveling and books
Favorite Local Activity: Spending time with family
About the Recipe: We are Mexican and we like the El Pollo Loco bowls. We realized that these bowls were made of food we cooked regularly, so we decided to try our own version of a pollo bowl and make it even healthier. We didn’t know it was going to turn out to be yummier too.
About the Chef: Stay-at-home mom, eight years and counting in San Diego. I’m originally from Tijuana. I love food but not cooking, and my dream job would be writing books for young children.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92127magazine.com