Michael’s Sweet & Spicy Chicken
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained (juice reserved)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ¾ cups broth for sauce
- 1 ½ cups of chicken broth for batter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 quart of vegetable oil for frying
- 2 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch piece
Optional: Red chili flakes
- In a saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, and orange food coloring. Heat to boiling. Turn off heat. Combine ¼ cup cornstarch and ¼ cup chicken broth; slowly stir into saucepan. Continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- Combine flour, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, salt, white pepper, and egg. Add 1 ½ cup chicken broth gradually to make a thick batter. Stir to blend thoroughly. Add chicken pieces and stir until chicken is well coated.
- Heat oil in skillet or wok to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C). Fry chicken pieces in hot oil for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels.
- When ready to serve, layer green peppers, pineapple chunks, and cooked chicken pieces on a platter. Pour hot sweet and sour sauce over top. Then add red-chili flakes for an extra kick!
Makes: 8 servings | Total Time: 1 hour
Name: Michael Germain
Family: Fiancé – Kyle
Community: Sabre Springs
Hobbies & Interests: Hiking, traveling, and trying out new restaurants
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking at Mt. Woodson
About the Recipe: This is one of my favorite recipes. I love spicy food, so I came up with this recipe by combining some of my favorite recipes of sweet and sour chicken, and adding my own twist to make it my own.
About the Chef: I recently moved near the 92127 area in 2015. I am currently working at SKY Facial Plastic Surgery in 4S Ranch as the surgery supervisor. In my spare time, I love to spend time with my fiancé Kyle and our three dogs, Rigo, Tino, and Katy, and our bird, Petri.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92127magazine.com